CHRYSALIDOCARPUS (Air Purifying Plant)
- COMMON NAME: Areca, Butterfly, or Cane Palm
- BOTANICAL/SCIENTIFIC NAME: Dypsis Lutescens, Chrysalidocarpus or Areca Lutescens
- LIGHT: A fairly bright room without direct sunlight is advised. Not enough light will slow growth and too much sun can scorch leaves.
- WATERING: Allow the top soil to become dry between watering and do not overwater. Overwatering is the quickest way to kill an areca palm, especially if the soil does not drain too well.
- SOIL: To prevent roots from becoming water logged use a well draining aerated potting soil mix. A mixture of 1 part peat, 1 part pine bark and 1 part coarse sand is one possible good mix.
- HUMIDITY: Normal room humidity is usually fine; however, dry air turns leaf tips brown (this is common).
- FERTILISER: Once a month, high in Nitrogen to enhance evergreen leaves.
- SIZE: Height 200cm. Approximate
If you notice a tip or edge burn often with a yellowish hue at the edge, especially on older leaves, it could be due to your tap water. To solve this, allow your tap water to stand overnight before watering so the chlorine and fluoride can evaporate. Remove any yellow leaves to keep your plant strong and growing. Do not use any shine products on the leaves, instead, clean leaves occasionally with a damp cloth.
A key factor in successfully growing areca palm trees indoors is providing just the right amount of light. They need bright, indirect light. The leaves turn yellowish-green in direct sunlight. The care of areca palms isn’t difficult, but the plant won’t tolerate neglect. Water them often enough to keep the soil lightly moist and allow the soil to dry slightly between waterings.
- Should an item or color not be available, substitutions may apply.
- If the plant is unavailable, we will try to help make a substitution.
- Plants/Flowers might have slight variations in color, texture, finish, and size. You can expect there will be some differences from what is displayed on our website because you are choosing a one-of-a-kind piece from our mother nature.
Note: Images are illustration purpose only. Actual item maybe different due to image quality enhancements.